Me and my agent, but more importantly GREAT friend!

Me and my agent, but more importantly GREAT friend!
Jess and Amanda

Swimming in Lake Taupo, New Zealand

Swimming in Lake Taupo, New Zealand
"How sweet it is!"

Jessica Jacobs...IRONMAN CHAMPION!!!!

Ironman Florida, 2010 Women's Champion in a time of 9:07:50

Crossing the finish line

Crossing the finish line
Representing 'Ol Glory!!!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

IMFL...It's Time!!!

Ironman Florida...3rd year in a row, here we go! I'm about 9-10 days out right now to "show time" and ready to race! I felt pretty prepared this year for IM Canada, but in hindsight, now - I feel totally ready to go!

I feel as though my coach and I have taken my fitness in running and cycling to a completely different level in the past 3-4 months. I was able to really test it 2 weeks ago when I took a little trip to Panama City Beach for a weekend of training. I got out the course map and rode on that bad boy like I owned it! It's a little different from the last 2 years, but, all in all, it's pretty much the same course...flat, little windy and fast! I'm excited to see what my legs can clock in on the bike and then turn around and give me in the marathon. I'm even stoked to ocean swim!!!! Yes - even the swim I'm excited about :)

This year has been a wonderful journey - new coach, huge PR in my open and ironman marathons (2:48 open...just 2.5 minutes off US Olympic Trials qualiying!!!) new revelations within myself (less is more), an ultra-supportive husband, daughter and family...I have no excuses!

I'm excited to see what I can put together in Florida as well as where my journey will take me in 2011...this is an attitude I did not have last year. I will not lie -driving to Florida last year, I was just "going thru the motions" - really wasn't excited, but thought..."oh well, one more IM won't hurt me!"...luckily it didn't physically hurt me...but with it being my 5th of the season...something had to give! I was ready to hang up the season right after Kona...but, you get that itch to do "just one more" --- at what point do you tell yourself, "STOP!! Take a break for goodness sake?!?!?" Burnout and a bit of disappointment shadowed me leading into Florida and post-season...but, like anything in life ---- brush yourself off...find out what truly makes you happy and figure out a way to live that life to the fullest EVERYDAY! I'm not going to lie...some days don't click, life gets the best of you...but, take a deep breath, evaluate, examine and pick yourself back up...that's a true LIFE LONG champ!!

Cheers!

Jess

4 comments:

Mike said...

Can't wait to see you rip up the course again! Look out for those crazy course hoppers!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were racing this weekend ... You will do GREAT!

kristen said...

great job at IM Florida! Love to see the winner from Maylene, AL! (I'm from Alabaster :))

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

congrats on your awesome race! i saw you fly by on the marathon...